Thursday, February 16, 2012

Paleo Banana French Toast Muffins

I am going to take you back. Back to a simpler time. A time when you stayed at the Holiday Inn with the special Holidome game room and indoor pool on your family vacation. And where would your parents take you to eat on this extra special "visit the zoo in the morning, spend the afternoon at Six Flags and play a mean game of air hockey in the Holidome before falling asleep to HBO" vacation? None other than Shoney's. As a kid, it didn't get much better for me than the Shoney's breakfast bar. All of my favorite breakfast foods in one place and all-you-can-eat to boot!

My favorite part of the Shoney's breakfast bar was the french toast sticks. With syrup. Lots of syrup. They were the perfect size for dunking into a deep sea of buttery syrup. I might have had a piece of sausage or a scrambled egg on the side, but the french toast sticks were always the main event.

Since starting down the road to healthy eating, there haven't been many (read:zero) trips to the Shoney's breakfast bar. But the husband and I do enjoy an occasional treat. We try to limit 
Paleo-ish treats to once a week or so and this week I was craving french toast. Maybe I was feeling nostalgic. I decided a muffin would be the best delivery method for my french toast fix. I have made Paleo muffins in the past with limited success, but I decided to give it one more try. I whipped up a cinnamon-y (it's a word, I swear) topping and popped them in the oven. What came out of the oven 20 minutes later was a legitimate baked good, which is not something I can say about all of my Paleo muffin attempts. 

Paleo Banana French Toast Muffins
Yield - 12 Muffins
Prep Time - 15 minutes
Cook Time - 20 minutes
Total Time - 35 minutes

-2 1/4 cups almond flour
-1/4 tsp sea salt
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1 tbsp cinnamon
-1 tsp nutmeg
-2 ripe bananas
-2 tsp vanilla extract
-3 tbsp ghee, softened (clarified butter, coconut oil will work in a pinch)
-3 eggs

For the topping
-1 tbsp ghee, melted
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1 tsp vanilla

-Preheat oven to 350 F.
-In a large bowl, add almond flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well and set aside.
-In a separate bowl, mash the bananas. Add vanilla, softened ghee and eggs into bowl with bananas. Whisk until large clumps disappear and mixture is mostly smooth.
-Pour wet ingredients into bowl with dry ingredients and mix well.
-Line a muffin tin with liners. I also spray the liners just for a little extra insurance that the muffins won't stick.
-Pour about 1/4 cup of the batter into each tin until they are all evenly filled. Each tin should be about 3/4 full.
-For the topping, mix melted butter, vanilla and cinnamon in a small bowl. Using a spoon, drizzle about a teaspoon of the topping onto each muffin.
-Pop the muffins into the oven for 20-25 minutes (until a toothpick entered into center of the muffin comes out clean).