Thursday, March 1, 2012

Paleo Carrot Cake Muffins

Did I recently say that we don't make a lot of Paleo treats? I lied. Well, it wasn't technically lying. We do try to keep the desserts and Paleo-ish snacks (I'm looking at you coconut flour waffles and raw chocolate truffles) to a minimum. But we bought the most beautiful purple carrots this week at the grocery store and I wanted to do something special with those special carrots.

I did have one failed attempt at integrating these carrots into my yummy homemade lara bars to create a carrot cake flavor bar, but we won't get into that. I don't like to live in the past. Let's just say a few of these carrots sadly went to waste, but my frustration got the gears turning in my brain again. These purple carrots would not defeat me!

I used to looove carrot cake. The moist, spiced cake, the cream cheese frosting, and the cute little icing carrot on top. I always tried to snag the piece with the icing carrot. I had something of a frosting problem. But, I digress. I turned my thoughts back to healthier fare and threw together these carrot cake muffins.

I made these over at my sister's house after dinner last night. It was definitely a bit of an experiment. I wasn't sure they would turn out at all. We mixed up the batter and confirmed that it did look like other muffin batters we had seen. We crossed our fingers and left them in the oven to bake. The true test was when my almost four year old nephew wanted to try one and said it was good. He then handed half of it back to my sister and said he didn't want to eat the whole thing. I think he just wanted to watch more cartoons, though. Because the adults all agreed that these were delicious.

I've included a few optional (well, I consider them vitally necessary, but I am not going to tell you what to do) add-ins such as raisins, nuts and shredded coconut. Maybe you will come up with some other way to put your own little spin on these muffins. If you do, drop me a line and let me know because I will definitely be making these again!

Paleo Carrot Cake Muffins
Yield: 12 Muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes


-2 1/4 cups almond flour
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 tsp sea salt
-2 tsp ground cinnamon
-1 tsp ground nutmeg
-1/2 tsp ground allspice
-1/2 tsp ground cloves
-1/2 tsp ground ginger
-3 tbsp ghee or coconut oil, melted
-3 eggs
-2 tbsp honey
-1 tbsp vanilla extract
-3/4 cup shredded carrot (about 1 medium carrot)
-1/2 cup raisins (optional)
-1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
-1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)


-Preheat oven to 350 F.
-In a large bowl, add almond flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, clove and ginger. Mix well and set aside.
-In a separate bowl, add melted ghee or coconut oil, eggs, honey and vanilla into a bowl. Whisk until smooth.
-Pour wet ingredients into bowl with dry ingredients and mix well.
-Stir in shredded carrot and your mix-ins.
-Spray a muffin tin or line with muffin liners. I also spray the liners just for a little extra insurance that the muffins won't stick.
-Pour about 1/4 cup of the batter into each tin until they are all evenly filled. Each tin should be about 3/4 full.
-Bake muffins for 18-20 minutes (until a toothpick entered into center of the muffin comes out clean).